What, if anything, can we learn from the performing arts, the visual arts, and the literary arts?

I am generally a person who finds the arts interesting and valuable, since I believe I have gained knowledge and developed skills by appreciating great artworks and producing my own ones. Personally, I think we should value art as a significant Area of Knowledge.

Performance in the arts involves a complex layering and interrelationship of knowledge, understanding and interpretation. Not only the forms, shapes and colors of their appearance, but also the deep abstract meaning that the artists want to convey to the audience really develop our habits of mind and imagination and to acquire knowledge from distinctive cultures and lifestyles. Every single person could at least learn something new from the performance of the artwork. Sometimes, the final answer does not matter so much, it is the learning process that really gives us the opportunity to think, compare, construct and finally learn.

Art itself can be a type of metaphor. It severs to illustrate an abstract concept by analogy with something concrete, meaning that sometimes a piece of art might have an ambiguous meaning. Similar to metaphors in languages, when we are appreciating artworks, we tend to use our personal knowledge under our own cultural backgrounds to understand its meaning, and therefore different people might come up with distinct opinions. This is when shared knowledge and personal knowledge come together and bring us to a meaningful process of observation, participation and exploration.